Statement of Belonging
The Department of Theatre and Media Arts strives to create a community of belonging that promotes respect for and appreciation of the variety of individual characteristics, life experiences and circumstances, cultural perspectives, varied abilities, and talents of every student, faculty, and staff member of the community. As shared in the BYU Statement on Belonging,
BYU Statement of Belonging
We are united by our common primary identity as children of God (Acts 17:29; Psalm 82:6) and our commitment to the truths of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ (BYU Mission Statement). We strive to create a community of belonging composed of students, faculty, and staff whose hearts are knit together in love (Mosiah 18:21)
FACULTY & HIRING
- We value diversity of interest, research, and perspective in our faculty hiring.
- We support each faculty member in their efforts with resources tailored to their individual needs and life experiences.
- We strive to create a workplace that champions and supports artists of all cultures and backgrounds.
STUDENT LEARNING & EXPERIENCES
- We aspire to create a department culture that welcomes, encourages, and creates a home for artists of varying styles, life experience and circumstances, perspectives, talents, and abilities.
- We build connections with diverse communities through community engagement, guest lecturers, and experiential learning opportunities.
- We produce work that introduces our students to stories outside of their own experiences and invites diverse student involvement.
- We implement inclusive curriculum in theory and praxis with an eye towards embracing a broader, global perspective.
In all of these efforts, we recognize that this is the work of a lifetime and we continue to seek ways to improve, develop, and build belonging. We welcome feedback and encourage ongoing discourse and participation.