The Theatre & Media Arts Department recognizes that many people have a passion for theatre and media arts but do not necessarily want to pursue it as a career. Nevertheless, theatre and media arts experiences can help you develop skills which may prove to be a valuable supplement to your resume. We have several opportunities available for such individuals:
Theatre & Media Arts Minors
The Theatre & Media Arts Department currently provides two minor programs for interested students: the Theatre Arts Studies Minor and the Media Arts Studies Minor. See the Theatre and Media Arts Minors Academic Plan (MAP) for more information.
Theatre & Media Arts Productions
Non-majors are welcome to participate in all theatre and media arts productions as actors and as members of stage and film crews. Audition notices are regularly posted on the bulletin boards just outside the department office (D-581 HFAC) and outside of the Nelke Theatre on the second floor of the HFAC. They are also listed in our weekly student newsletter, TMAccess.
Theatre Mask Club Productions
Everyone is welcome to participate in Mask Club productions, directed by students enrolled in TMA 436. The productions are on Thursdays at 1, 2, and 4 p.m. in the Nelke Theatre located in the North end, 2nd floor of the Harris Fine Arts Center (HFAC). Please note that times may vary during Spring and Summer semesters. Look for auditions on the Nelke Callboard by the Nelke Theatre (HFAC 2nd floor) or on the TMAccess student newsletter.
General Education and Elective Courses
The Department of Theatre and Media Arts offers several general education service courses which are available to all students:
- TMA 101 – Intro to the Theatre
- TMA 123 – Beginning Acting
- TMA 125 – Yoga and Alexander Technique
- TMA 201 – Theatre History 1
- TMA 202 – Theatre History 2
- TMA 215R Section 005 – Theatre and Media Arts Appreciation
- TMA 267 – Beginning Makeup
Media Arts Courses
- TMA 102 – Intro to Film
- TMA 187 – Beginning Production Management
- TMA 392 – Children’s Media
- TMA 458 – Media Literacy Education
- TMA 384R – Practicum: Cinematic Skills (including sections for editing, camera & lenses, lighting, practical effects, and film sound)