THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO

The Playbill magazine announced that Frank Wildhorn and Jack Murphy's musical drama The Count of Monte Cristo will make its U.S. debut on January 22-31, 2015 in the de Jong Concert Hall. The BYU workshop marks the musical's first production in the United States and will feature a cast of students from our BFA musical theatre and acting programs. We are especially excited that our students will have the opportunity to participate in workshopping a show from this caliber of playwright and composer. Tim Threlfall will helm the workshop, and Jeffrey Martin serves as creative producer. Additional members of the production team include choreographer Nathan Balser (Legally Blonde; Promises, Promises), musical director Gayle Lockwood, costume designer Lara Beene, set designer Rory R. Scanlon, lighting designer Michael Kraczek, sound designer Jeff Carter, production manager Jennifer Reed and stage manager Crysta May Powell. "The show has enjoyed incredible success in Europe and Asia, and I wanted to establish the piece there before bringing the piece to American audiences," said Wildhorn in a statement. "Now that we have done that, I felt the time was right. I thought it would be a fun way to get it started here in the U.S. with my great relationship with BYU, and I'm excited to see what will happen now."